Re: Calibrators vs Signal/Function Generators

Harvey White

Typically:

Frequency is crystal controlled.

Risetimes are held to a particular spec (see PG506, 1 ns or so rise and fall times on certain waveforms).

Amplitudes are in the same sequence as the scope gain control, making it easier to check calibration.

Amplitudes do not have to be readjusted per run, they're fixed by the generator calibration while the function generator (some of them) are variable.  Also note that the PG506 can put out high amplitude square waves while many function generators do not.

Timebases?

Ditto on crystal controlled.

ditto on frequencies.

Now for frequency standards, a CPLD or FPGA would work fine with a known frequency for the timebase generator.  You could make that and possibly use a pre-built demo board.  Amplitude?  you're on your own.

Oh, and some of the cal generators, say the 5000 series, can be remote controlled and therefore lend themselves to automated testing and calibration.

Harvey

On 7/14/2020 10:13 AM, David Berlind wrote:
Question for the hive:

I have a pile of scopes here that I'll be looking to calibrate at some point as a part of their resurrection. I see that the primary function of some Tek calibration fixtures is to generate square and sine waves. How is this significantly different from what a well-calibrated signal/function generator can do?

Thank you.

David