Re: Calibrators vs Signal/Function Generators

Stephen

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 03:13 AM, David Berlind wrote:

Question for the hive:

I have a pile of scopes here that I'll be looking to calibrate at some point
as a part of their resurrection. I see that the primary function of some Tek
calibration fixtures is to generate square and sine waves. How is this
significantly different from what a well-calibrated signal/function generator
can do?

Thank you.

David
I’m nowhere close to a metrologist expert,
But I believe that if your generator has a very fast rise time and a very steady and true output signal, that’ll do the job just fine. As a matter of fact, I think that modern gear, when well calibrated to start with, are probably at least as good, if not better, than the older gear from the 60’s or 70’s, which themselves may need to be recalibrated. Provided they can do the same things required in the procedure, that is.