Re: FG 504 function generator odd behaviour

Dave Daniel

Ir you end up having to replace any of the TO-3 pass transistors in the chassis, be aware that many (all?) new ones may have a different pinout than the originals.

Just something to be aware of.

DaveD

On Jul 11, 2020, at 17:22, Andy Warner <andyw@...> wrote:

On the FG504, the -25V rail is referenced off the +25V one.
Check for bad tantalums on the -25V rail and also independently check the
pass transistor used by that rail, it is in the chassis, not the module.

I have to work on the sweep section of my FG504, which looks like it will
be a right pain. Anyone got any tips for working on the middle board in
this unit ?

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 13:09 Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

Generic steps:

turn scope off, wait 5 minutes or so, turn scope on. See if -25 is good
(something could have latched up).

with power off, check continuity of fuses or with power on, check for
very low voltage drop across the fuse. There must always be a voltage
drop because the fuse acts like a resistor.

Look at the bulk supply for the -25. Check against voltage readings on
the schematic. Go through regulator circuit to output and see what
doesn't match. Any transistor where the base-emitter voltage is the
wrong polarity indicates transistor is off. Any transistor (except a
darlington) where the B-E voltage exceeds 0.7 volts is likely bad.

Typical things to fail: pass transistor.

in the event of a short circuit, check the current sense resistor (the
low value one from the pass transistor to the output) and then check the
(frequently done like this) transistor which has the base/emitter
junction connected across the resistor. Too much current and the
transistor turns on, stealing base drive from the pass transistor, and
turning it off. Current limiting.

In many tek supplies, the - supply is a positive supply in topology,
with what would be the ground being the negative lead, and what you'd
think ought to be the positive output grounded. The voltage across the
pass transistor is the difference between the bulk supply and the
desired voltage.

Check also to see what the reference voltage is for the -25 volt
supply. It must be exact, otherwise the supply will be off.

Harvey

On 7/11/2020 1:56 PM, Colin Herbert via groups.io wrote:
Oops! I have checked the voltages and while the +25V (+24.99), +15V
(+14.98)
and -15V (-14.98) are just about bang on, the -25V is sitting at -3.58V.
really can't remember if this was the case when I checked previously,
but it
is now. I did manage to short something out with the DMM probes, so that
may
have given this problem, but sure as sure it needs to be fixed, but how?
Colin.