Re: (OT) repair tools: Autotransformers/variacs

David Berlind

Somewhere (it has been a long time since I saw it), there's a video showing the cheap construction of the Chinese variacs [sic], the inaccuracy of the dial and the readouts, and the need to implement a fix to the shaft because it was slipping. Ever since I saw that video, I decided to keep my distance and stick to the American made heavyweights.

On June 29, 2020 11:16:41 PM "Ernesto" <ebordon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM, Jean-Paul wrote:

Serious users should avoid the Chinese copies and opt for a good condition
used made in USA model mentioned above.
I Jon,

Why should serious users avoid the "Chinese copies" ?? Why should "used" be preferable to new? Are variacs like bottles of wine?

I was a serious competent professional for many decades. After I retired, the "serious" went away and I am simply a competent user. And as such, I have found nothing inferior in my "Chinese copied variac'. Nothing that I see could give problems to my grandchildren when they inherit this variac.

When you plug your brand name made in USA variac into a power strip cord, you make sure that this power strip is also a used cord made in USA and not a copied new Chinese power cord?

Ernesto