Re: Some interesting Nuvistor information

greenboxmaven

Thoriated tunstem filaments are used in many directly heated transmitting tubes. Compactrons were another interesting effort to delay the inevetable change to solid state. They were almost all well known and proven tubes repackaged two or more in a new envelope. Because of this, they were carefully designed to be durable so there would be few needs to replace them because only one section failed. Except for high power output tubes, they did not fail that frequently. Their heaters and carhodes are very good and rugged, they will withstand surprising over or under voltage without serious degradation of performance or lifetime. Don't hesitate to try using one with a bit high or low filament voltage. An 8XXXX will usually work fine on 6 volts, and a 10, 11, 13 or 15XXXX will usually be fine on 12 volts. If you find oddball filament voltage compactrons at hamfests, they are often free.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 6/20/20 9:47 AM, Ray wrote:
Not to mention that there are tubes out there that had radioactive coated cathodes for improved electron emissions. Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device------ Original message------From: Shirley Dulcey KE1LDate: Thu, Jun 18, 2020 21:01To: TekScopes@groups.io;Cc: Subject:Re: [TekScopes] Some interesting Nuvistor informationBack then, any tubes in the TVs at the dump would have gone straight to
landfill. (Nowadays some of them would require hazmat treatment because of
lead.) If you took out the tubes to use you were practicing one of the legs
of the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle slogan. If you were taking them out to break
them and listen to the glass shatter, shame on you, but those tubes would
have been lost to the world anyway.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 9:36 PM snapdiode via groups.io wrote:

Now I feel bad for cracking all those Compactrons when I was ten. I fished
them out of TVs at the city dump, which was pretty much unsupervised back
then. Slip under the fence, crack open the TVs, come home with backpack
full of tubes! About 1/3 of them were Compactrons.