scopes (and most likely is), what solder should be used for repairs? I
always thought it was some sort of silver solder? It must still contain
lead.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 7:52 AM Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=
blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

"Silver Solder" is a hard solder used in making mechanical joints such as
in jewellery. It melts at a relatively high temperature and is akin to
brazing, i.e. "hard soldering". It contains silver, copper and zinc and
maybe a little cadmium to get a lower melting-point. The "silver bearing"
solder is akin to soft solder (used in making electrical joints) and
contains a relatively low proportion of silver.
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of David
Kuhn
Sent: 22 June 2020 12:32
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 2% Silver

"The tektronix solder is definitely not lead free, and you definitely
do not want to be using lead free solder on the terminal strips in
a tektronix 500 series scope. "

Hello Chuck. I thought they used "silver" solder on those? Is that not
lead free? If not, what does "Silver" solder mean?

Sorry, just curious.

Dave

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 12:07 AM Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> wrote:

The tektronix solder is definitely not lead free, and you definitely
do not want to be using lead free solder on the terminal strips in
a tektronix 500 series scope.

The Kester Sn62 solder makes beautiful joints, though.

-Chuck Harris

Randy.AB9GO wrote:
I purchased a 1 lb roll of Multicore 2% at of all things a farm
equipment
show 4-5 years ago for $3.00! No one wanted because it was too thin.
You
just never know where stuff like this is going to show up. I will
probably
bite the bullet and buy a new roll when I need it. It makes some of
the
prettiest joints you've ever seen. I use it on everything. On the
other
end of the spectrum is lead free and unless I have to work on something
that is already lead free I'm just not buying it or using it. Awful
awful
stuff.

randy.ab9go@gmail.com