Re: Spectrum Analyzer Question

David Berlind

@DaveD I definitely intend to try the FFT approach now that it came up in this conversation (thankfully) and it turns out I might have the feature in my 680B scope. Though there will be a learning curve since spec analysis is new to me, let alone FFT.

Thank you.

On June 20, 2020 1:25:06 PM "Dave Daniel" <kc0wjn@...> wrote:

You wrote earlier that the reason for which you started looking for a spec an was because you kept seeing references to their use. So I think you shoul look at whether an FFT will suffice for those operations where you ran across a need for a spec an.

DaveD

On Jun 20, 2020, at 12:58, David Berlind <david@...> wrote:

@Steve Hendrix and @Wallydoc

I had not considered that an oscilloscope that supports FFT would be a
substitute for a spectrum analyzer. I have a Tek 680B that apparently has
FFT support. Thoughts?

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:59 AM Steve Hendrix <SteveHx@...>
wrote:

I have, and still use professionally, a TDS-220 with the FFT option. It
works very well, as far as it goes, and they're available for disturbingly
cheap prices on eBay. The difference between that and a "real" spectrum
analyzer (which I also have) is that the scope can't zoom in to very fine
frequency resolution like a spectrum analyzer, and that you need to be very
conscious of aliasing, which the scope will happily do. But as a learning
tool, I think you're right that it might suit the needs better for learning
about frequency domain analysis. YMMV.

Steve Hendrix

At 2020-06-20 11:54 AM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:

I do not have a newer Tek scope with FFT, but was curious about how well
they worked
I am also attempting to get into the 21st century.

What about the newer (maybe not that new) Tek Scopes with FFT??
How do they measure up to a real spectrum analyzer?
Would one of those meet the needs of the OP??