Re: Spectrum Analyzer Question

EJP

With a spectrum analyzer, I'd like to be
able conduct experiments where I get to see 2nd and 3rd order harmonics,
corroborate VTVM readings when aligning radios, etc.

Well contrary to everybody here I use a 7L5 daily for this kind of thing. 5MHz bandwidth i spletny fo r both audio and FM composite, and for MW AM both RF and IF, but it isn't enough to look at FM RF or IF with, but you can use an SDR dongle for that, or sweep alignment. I was lucky enough to pick up a working 7L5 for about $400 several years ago and I've never had to fix it. I do appreciate the force of the watchmaking observation though, having had a peek inside. I bought this one precisely because it fitted into my 7704A and didn't mean an extra screen or bench space, and if I needed more bandwidth I would certainly contemplate a 7L12 at the right price: but I don't.

EJP