Re: Switching a Tek TDS 5204 to 50 Ohms input impedance - Strange!

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:27 AM, Brian wrote:

Hi Raymond , I have a couple of TDS's , a 744 original version and a 420A .
Both are protected on the 50R input setting so I would expect all others to be
the same . I have noticed this behaviour when using the 50R input and until I
got used to it having wondered what was happening at first I much prefer it to
the action taken by the 7A29 7k plug-in which just disconnects the input - and
you need to disconnect to reset it.Regrettably I am just a hobbyist pensioner
nowadays so my experience with anything newer than a TDS744 is zero , give me
500 series or 7K series even a 661 and I am happy
Brian Skilton
Hi Brian,
I have had several TDS 4xx and 5xx 'scopes and never experienced this behavior. I'm *that* careful - or lucky...
Nowadays, my only 'scope in that range is a TDS3054 (actually, a modified TDS3032) and I've never tried...
The 7A19 blows an input fuse if overloaded, the 7A29's behavior is much more user-friendly, being resettable.
I love 7K mainframes and I would never think "*regrettably*, I'm a hobbyist pensioner"...
Of course, some things can only be done with the newer stuff but I'm quite happy improvising.

Raymond