Re: TM 500 Front Panels

Dave Daniel

I could use several of these as I have a bunch that have the corners broken off.

DaveD

On 6/2/2020 8:27 PM, Harvey White wrote:
OK, will continue to reply to this thread if I can remember at the moment

Harvey

On 6/2/2020 8:22 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
I forwarded your reply to the more appropriate topic subject line I started.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Harvey White
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 2:16 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Advice about buying a 7904

There are some things to consider when doing a 3D design that complicate the project, and for that matter, may or may not render the design "workable".

There has to be at least one flat space that hits the build platform. Modeling a cube standing on a point isn't a good idea.

There's a limit to how much and how long an overhang can be without having a support.  Supports can be removed, if done gracefully. Otherwise, the unsupported part tends to sag.

If you use OpenSCAD, then it's a parametric modeler.  You can easily specify the basic backplate and the edge as a model.  You can base models off this.  Adding a hole at a particular point, square or round, is easy.  it takes a few lines of code.

Adding a boss on the front, or on the rear, is easy enough, however anything on the rear keeps the back from being flat, and that's a problem.

For material, PLA would be the material of choice to make the initial models.  Making them out of ABS or PETG would be a good choice for durability.

Color is not going to be a problem, you can get pretty close.

There are ways of working around some of this, but those ways do make life more difficult.

Harvey

On 6/2/2020 4:50 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
There are no protrusions on the backside but the inner flat rectangular center of the front panel is recessed on the other side just like the front side. In other words the front panel is reversible.
It may not be necessary to recess it on the back side to make the design simpler.
On the front it would be highly desirable to have a small hole on every panel for the pull tab to go through.
I found a blank I can send you.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of
Michael W. Lynch via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 6:48 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Advice about buying a 7904

Dennis,

I am going to take a closer look at some of my TM500 plug ins and see if I can come up with a rough model.  Sounds simple enough, as long as the back side of the blank is flat (there are no protrusions). Anything protruding would make the job more difficult.  It may seem silly, but one of the most challenging tasks will be to get that thin outer rim of the blank to print properly.  Thin sections such as that are problematic.  This is where experimentation comes into play.

Another part of the project would be printing a Drill Jig to hold the two parts in perfect alignment, allowing drilling the various holes, so an exact match is achieved.

One of the nice things about 3D printing is that the operator can choose a wide variety of materials to build the model.  I tend to use PETG, since the material is easy to print, solvent resistant and is not too brittle. ABS and Nylon are also options. Once the model is done, it is a simple matter to print in whatever color and type material that you wish.

I'm working on a set of cord wrap feet for my "new" 453, once those are complete, I will get on this project.  I will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for the inspiration.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.