Re: Nice Document Site with Tek manuals; New to me

Hi Tony,
The very reason Tek designed their manuals with large sheets for their schematics was because there is a lot of circuitry on each page. Tek is widely recognized as creating the finest service manuals in the industry because they recognized what the schematics required for clarity was to be printed on a large format sheet of paper. In October 2012 I was at the vintageTEK Museum when I noticed a new printer they had. I asked why they needed it since they already several Tek Phaser printers. Ed explained they recently bought this Brother MFC-J5910DW inkjet printer when because it could print the ledger size schematics and it was incredibly cheap. The list price was $200 but it was less than $150 with the rebates. In addition to printing anything in color from 4"x6" to 11"x17" (double-sided too!) it is a multifunction Fax/Scanner/copier with built in wireles capability. I immediately bought one myself so I could print the schematics full size.
For troubleshooting Tek scopes and instruments I prefer the original manuals but when I can't get them the first thing I do is print out a full size 11"x17" schematic and the parts locator tables from a PDF. This printer is still going strong 8 years later. It lived up to my expectations and I still cannot figure out why it was so inexpensive.

There are pros and cons to breaking the schematic and parts layout pages into several 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. The only real solution is to provide full size scans and broken up scans to keep everybody happy.

I won't buy a CD that doesn't have full size schematics. Try following a signal that starts on the left side of a schematic in a maze of other components as it goes off the page on the right (with no way to distinguish it from any other connection on the schematic). Now you have to find the next page of the schematic and figure out where it is on the left of that sheet and you have to remember how that signal may have been modified back on the previous sheet. Then factor in how often the signal will reach the end of schematic and continue on another different schematic elsewhere in the manual that then requires the same process all over again. This required the user to perform a totally unnecessary tedious, error prone eye / brain test. You cannot fully understand a schematic that is broken up across 2 or 3 sheets of paper unless you print out each sheet and tape the pieces back together in order to see the big picture.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of tgerbic
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 6:35 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Nice Document Site with Tek manuals; New to me

I am not sure if I am happy or disappointed about this site. I did a spot check on the HP manuals ( I have a comprehensive list of over 100 I scanned and uploaded) and found that every one I checked are scans I did for the hparchive.com. The differences are that they have the acknowledgements removed, some front/back covers removed, and in some cases a little cosmetic work. Some have the color in the text removed. A good example is the HP 1704B Service or the 130B/BR.
I guess the upside is that the scans are being used, so they have some value.

I have been scouring the web for 20 years looking for Tek, HP, Heathkit, and many other manuals and I cannot remember seeing this exact site with this navigation/color. It looks a bit like another that had similar content. It might have been there with a different web layout. Have to look back at my saved links.

Interesting comment on full-sheet scans. I will often do full sheet if it will fit on my scanner (scans up to 11.7 x 16.5), or will do overlaping 16.5 scans if over that. Most people cannot print these out and they are a bit small on most monitors so I have gotten feedback to break these up.

I provided the 410C alternative 1 and 2 manuals on the hparchive which are very clear but I did break up the schematics to make them large and legible. Are they unusable like that?

/Tony

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.