Re: Questions I have if Attachments are Permitted

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

I can help you with that!

Everyone that lives in the large flyover country
parts of rural US.

Not only do they get their internet over the telephone lines at
typically 56Kbits per second modem rates, they get slow or no
cell service to boot.

And, everyone that relies on tracfone, and its ilk, for their cell
service. That includes a lot of seniors. Their phones cost them
6 or 7 bucks a month, but they get nickle and dimed for each minute.

Broadband exists in all of the big cities, and their suburbs. But
it doesn't exist in the large central regions of the big farm states.

It also doesn't exist in the mountain areas, like parts of WV, CO,
TN, AK... Nor does it exist in large parts of OK, MN, WI, IA, ND,
SD, WY... need I go on?

And, even if your isp doesn't charge you a data rate for its 56K bit/sec
service, a 5.6mbyte picture takes 1000 seconds to be transferred down
your slow pipe.

If that isn't a cost, I don't know what is!

-Chuck Harris

Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:

Dennis,

First let me say, I am happy with whatever the Administrator and Owners of this group decide. I will adapt as needed.

I have a serious question about this and since I seem to be quite oblivious, here goes:

QUESTION #4: If almost all TekScopes members have no interest in the napkin
sketch you attached to your message why should they have to download it to
their PC and pay data charges for something they will immediately delete
once they see what the attachment is about.<<

My Question: Who pays data charges in today's world? Comments seem to indicate that many here use "metered" connections, and I simply did not realize that those were that common these days. My ISP is unlimited up and download as far as I know (Yes, I realized that download is MUCH faster than upload speeds). I have not paid data charges in decades. Keep in mind, I live in rural Arkansas, so I am not even close to the "bleeding edge" of the internet or cell coverage. I'm just happy to have relatively "High Speed" internet. This applies to my phone and home ISP. I am just asking so that I can learn. This seems to be a huge issue for many on this forum.

Please advise and educate, as you always seem to be able to do.

I appreciate all that you do and the great benefit of this forum.

Sincerely,