Re: TEK 5054 CPU Fan

David Kuhn

" On thing, though: do NOT connect a lan cable and update any drivers -
many are modified versions and are required for everything to work
correctly"

Thank you for that information and link. I did hook a network cable (after
imaging) and tried to get it to work on my network (to save screen shots to
a network drive perhaps) but I could not get it to work. I think there is
some more modern protocols missing from Windows 2000. It has been too damn
long since I worked with 2000. I can remember upgrading computers from
Windows 2000 to Windows XP at work.

What would be really cool is if we could install Windows 7 on it. I doubt
the Tek software would work. Would it work under Windows XP? I don't have
the TEK software and drivers to try or I would take a few hours to try.
Windows XP works in the network just fine.

Right now, waiting for the heatsink to show up. The SSD does boot now and
the scope software comes up and works. I shut it down right after that as
the heatsink does get toasty without the fan working.

Did you leave the old IDE drive in scope? I'm not sure how to get at the
lower screws that hold it to its mounting plate.

Dave

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 9:05 PM Harold Foster <halfoster@gmail.com> wrote:

David-

It's a Celeron / Pentium Socket 478. Seems like the heatsink had a
different mounting arrangement, but I'm not completely sure. I just popped
it off long enough to change the processor and I don't remember the details.

If you want to upgrade the memory, this is what I got:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-2x1GB-PC2700-DDR333-333Mhz-184pin-Desktop-Memory-NON-ECC-Low-Density/221428970247?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Four 1GB sticks installed and it "just worked".

I just upgraded my TDS5054B-NV-AV to the aforementioned 4GB, a Pentium 4
2.8GHz and a Sandisk 240GB SSD - no issues, and it makes for a noticeable
change. On thing, though: do NOT connect a lan cable and update any
drivers - many are modified versions and are required for everything to
work correctly.

Hal