Re: Electrolytic Capacitor Removal NO Desoldering Required

greenboxmaven

Grabbing and twisting the entire condenser off the board seems very risly. Crushing and removing the can then going after the base seems to be a more reasonable idea. I have a few Sony Betacam portable VCRs that are loaded with bad and leaked condensers. The boards were drenched in electrolyte. I unsoldered them all, scraped the pads, then washed the boards in soapy hot water before rinsing them and drying them in the hot box. Afterward, I tinned each pad and soldered the new condensers in place. The recorder works perfectly. I have done a couple IMAC G5s as well, they are still working fine. Those bad condensers cause a lot of repairable gear to be trashed. I can understand commercial repair shops declining to repair them, but if you have time and patience, there is a lot of good stuff that can be restored.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 4/21/20 7:24 PM, victor.silva via groups.io wrote:
I saw this last year and didn't like when compared to my method that I have been using since 2005.
First of all how can he say no soldering required when the old terminals are still there.
Obviously soldering is required to remove the terminals and clean up the pads.

I use a similar method but it puts absolutely no force on the pads.

I use angled cutters and cut the capacitor off at the bottom, around the collar, leaving the rubber seal, a tiny piece of aluminum and the plastic base.
The remaining rubber seal and plastic base comes off very easily now, by grabbing a corner with the cutters.

--Victor