Re: Replacing hard drive with SSD

David Kuhn

" My point is that one should be aware of the MTBF numbers for writes (as
compared to those of a comparable HDD) when planning to replace the
former with the latter."

Hello David D. I can remember way back when SSDs where at version/level 3
that the estimated life span of an SSD in a Windows XP environment with
daily use was 17 years. Newer OSs should be longer yet, according to that
article. Now, I imaging that they are at some level much higher than 3
now. Sorry I don't recollect what they called that technological level for
the SSDs. Now estimated life spans isn't real life, but I bet they are a
lot better than the $600 wholesale 80mb Seagate 8086 (???) full size MFM
hard drives that back in 1987 had an estimated MTBF of 6 months if used 24
hours per day (such as in BBSs, which I ran back then). You used to be
able to fry eggs on those things. Anyway, I digress. I would guess any
SSD would do fine in these scopes. If the mother board does not have a
SATA port, SATA-IDE adapters are $5 on EBAY or Amazon. I always keep a few
on-hand. You must RTV them to the SSD to keep the blasted board in place.

Dave K

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 12:21 PM Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@gmail.com> wrote:

Flash technology inherently wears out electrically. In particular, there
is a finite number of writes that may be written to a given address
before the cells at that address may no longer be written. There are
also differences in this respect between nor and nand flash technology.
While it's been several years since I worked in the storage industry and
I don't remember the details and I have not kept up with the technology,
one of the concerns we had with going from HDDs to SSDs in JBODs was
this issue.

SSDs are now commonly used as computer drives, and they have (or had)
technology called "write leveling" which tried to distribute writes over
all memory blocks as evenly as possible in order to try and avoid write
hot-spots.

Other flash devices, such as memory cards, do not have this technology
unless it is included in the OS driver for that memory device (SSDs have
the software on the local controller, which is in turn controlled by the
OS device driver. Flash storage devices used to store data (only)
experience far fewer writes than flash storage devices used as the
system storage for an OS. Devices used for an OS obviously experience
pretty much continuous writes over the lifetime of the system.

My point is that one should be aware of the MTBF numbers for writes (as
compared to those of a comparable HDD) when planning to replace the
former with the latter.

DaveD

On 4/12/2020 8:31 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io wrote:
I remember seeing somone making or offering plans for a circuit board
that used Compact Flash cards to replace an IDE hard drive. There were
solid state replacements for PATA or IDE drives, you should be able
to find one. One concern I have heard about solid state drives is
otherworldly- they can sometimes be corrupted by cosmic rays.
Mechanical hard drives seem to be quite robust in this regard. Newer
computers and hand helds use built in error correction to minimize
lost data or other malfunctions. Even then, occasional clean installs
of operating systems are needed. As a part of the clean install, a
disk utility checks for damaged memory cells and compensates if they
are found.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 4/12/20 7:36 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
Oops, my go to drive is a SATA not IDE. I do have small solid state IDE
drives, BUT it looks like the mother board in them has SATA sockets.
Tektronix offered a 050-3708-00 SATA upgrade kit for the scopes, at
least
the "B" versions. I need to research this some more.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 6:32 PM Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone had success in replacing the old IDE hard drives in the TDS
series with SSD's?

Thanks,
Bikk