Re: DAS9100 does anyone still remember it

Brian

Dan , a miss-type in my mail -- 7D20 should be 7D02

Brian

On Saturday, 11 April 2020, 00:02:54 BST, Dan G <dgajanovic@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear that you were able to make progress on data transfer via the GPIB bus.

It looks like Tektronix designed a very reliable tape drive for the DAS9100, which has now,
unfortunately, far outlived any reliable tape cartridges. Even if one were to somehow get
freshly minted elastic bands for these old tapes that match the performance and reliability
of the originals, there is still the issue of the magnetic coating having become fragile with age
and prone to flaking off from the tape carrier.

An additional benefit of the GPIB transfer mode is that you will be able to easily share your
disassembly mnemonic tables with others. In theory, you should be able to get close
to re-creating the mnemonic tape contents from first principles.

I just looked at section 7 (Define Mnemonics Menu) of the DAS 9100 Operator's Manual PDF,
and noticed that the contents are far shorter and more limited compared to what I have on
paper (29 pages instead of 11). The version I have specifically talks about microprocessor
disassembly, and how to build a nested table structure with multiple mnemonic tables.

I could not find this version of section 7 online, so I will scan my copy and upload it to
TekWiki in the next few days.

Regarding your earlier question about external color monitors, I assume you have the
Option 6 I/O board, which provides color video output. Mine is Option 2, which only has
monochrome video output, so I cannot test this myself. However, note that the DAS only
generates three distinct colors: red, green and yellow. While the internal special-purpose
CRT has separate guns for red, green and yellow phosphors, an external monitor can produce
yellow by mixing red and green, so only two color signals are needed.
I expect that it should be easy to connect the Option 6 color video output to the
TTL-level input of a Commodore 1084 monitor or similar, but, again, I cannot test this
personally.

dan