Re: DAS9100 does anyone still remember it

Brian

Hi Dan ,as a result of your last message I have looked elsewhere for a user manual for the DAS , bitsavers were a good choice . The copy I had was incomplete , section 12 was only about 25% complete .
I can report some success with GPIB , communication is established and I have been able to write to the screen and read from the screen using VB6 and a Prologix look-alike usb to GPIB adapter. Using the save status command ALL? , a great deal of data is returned , I cannot decipher it as its binary data and also compressed , but it looks as though its possible to do what I had hoped , in which case I will dedicate an old laptop to be part of the kit and I can then preserve any setup/mnemonic files on a CD
Reading the section it says that for one of the fields used in the DEFINE mnemonics menu Binary data needs to be sent -- a bit of a pain in VB so far . I did note that it said HEX at the top of the column but entering data from GPIB it did not write to the first character space "0000" sent was shown as "X000" , from the keyboard all characters were written ok .

Once that is working , I plan to produce mnemonic files for 8080 and 6800 cpu's . I have a Z80 pod but I am not sure how to produce a file with more than 256 entries which a Z80 would need -- TEK obviously did it somehow but its not written down anywhere I have seen . Its possible to produce multiple mnemonic tables but they all share the 256 possible entries according to the text -- I assume thats the limit of storage space withing the DAS .

Brian

On Saturday, 4 April 2020, 19:39:19 BST, Dan G <dgajanovic@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

I believe that the information you are looking for is contained in section 12 (GPIB Programming)
of the DAS 9100 Series Operator's Manual. A PDF is available in bitsavers.org's Test Equipment Archive,
as well as our TekWiki (w140.com).

In particular, I think you will be interested in the ACQMEM command to transfer the acquisition
memory to your computer, as well as the MNEMONICS command to transfer the Define Mnemonics
menu setup to and from the DAS mainframe.

As far as I know, DAS 9100 uses the RS-232 port as a poor man's GPIB interface, so these commands
should work over RS-232 as well, though I have not tested this myself.

According to the Tektronix 1985 catalog, Tek used to offer a suite of UNIX software tools (91DVV),
with source code (!), for generating test patterns and transferring data to and from the DAS.

Incidentally, I still have a working VAX system, so if someone has these old tapes gathering dust,
I would love to get a chance to preserve and archive them.

dan