Re: Tek 576 Curve Tracer HV Replacement Transformer

Hi Ernesto,
I apologize for attacking you personally. Your "rant" struck a nerve. Based on you work experience in the Oil Exploration industry I can understand why you were expecting parts to be available long after a product was out of production. You are comparing oranges to apples. Tektronix is not in an industry where there is an expectation of 50 year lifetime support. The USA and European countries created the Electronics Test Equipment Industry but it is now disappearing because of China's low manufacturing costs and, in some cases, outright theft of our designs. When it is cheaper to buy a new instrument than to repair an existing one there is no reason to provide product support other than a 1 year Warranty.

I strive very hard to avoid commenting when someone complains about how something should be rather than how it is. The most common expectation seems to be that anything you buy on eBay will work even when the description clearly stated it was for parts or not working. The next most common eBay expectation is that eBay cares about you. Don't people read the description first? I have my own irrational expectation that people are smart. I can't seem to learn that this is simply not true even when I am shown evidence all day long that, as the comedian Steven Wright says, "Half the people I know are below average".

I agree with you that Schlumberger is exceptional to provide that level of service and customer support. I was hoping you could name a company in the electronics industry still supporting their products like Schlumberger does.
Of course there are other fields like the oil industry where this level of service and support are required. For instance an obvious one we all have experience with is flying. Each time I fly I am relying on an industry where parts are designed to last 30+ years and must be available 50+ years later. The military requires this in some cases for even longer. The B-52 Stratofortress first took flight in 1952. 68 years later it is still flying.

Your expectations are to be expected in the oil exploration industry where exceptional reliability and availability of parts are critical to avoid disastrous consequences. We are all familiar with what happened when the Deepwater Horizon was drilling at the Macondo Prospect and there was a blowout. 15 men died immediately, 5M Bbl. of oil spilled into the Gulf of Mexico, and the financial cost may ultimately cost upwards of $20 Billion.

With the exception of instruments Tektronix makes under military contracts their instruments are used in laboratories to make measurements. This is an industry that has relentlessly improved the performance of its instruments at lower costs over the past 70+ years. Performance and cost are customer's main considerations not 50+ year product support. It would be prohibitively expensive for Tek to design their products to meet the kinds of reliability you are expecting and there would be few customers to pay for them.

I agree with you that the HV transformers are a point of failure in Tek instruments. In our archives you will find some of the reasons for this. There are many other components that are also problematic such as:
- Tantalum capacitors.
- Stuck pushbuttons on the 7000 series plugins.
- Plastic parts. Over time the plastic dries out and swells causing it to crack.
- The plastic corners on TM500 plugins. We have Jerry Shannon (now deceased) to thank for selecting the plastic for these front panels based on cost rather than durability.
- Noisy pots which are an industry wide problem.
- Electrolytic capacitors become ineffective when the electrolyte dries out.
- U800 fails due to excessive heat. Maxim reneged on their agreement to manufacture replacements.

Dennis Tillman W7pF