Re: 2445A slow

Chuck Harris

Hi Steve,

For my own purposes, I don't think the WIMA caps used in
this scope's power supply really needed to be safety caps.
They have flameproof resistors in series with them, and
they are on the downstream side of a fuse.

But, for my customers, I always try to meet or exceed the
original safety mechanisms the manufacturer provided.

A film X2 safety cap is what I always use in these supplies.

Remember these safety caps are rated for AC volts. Most
other caps are rated for DC volts. You have to divide the
DC rating by 1.4 to get the AC rating. If the cap doesn't
say it is a safety cap, and give its safety rating, it isn't.

The scope in X-Y requires that you change the X value, and
change the Y value to get a display. Because your scope is
showing nothing but a 45 degree line, I can tell instantly
that whatever you are doing is putting the exact same waveform
on both axes ( channels).

If you are connecting your scope to a curve tracer, you need
two BNC cables from the curve tracer, and they have to connect
one to CH1 or X, and the other to CH2 or Y.

-Chuck Harris

Steve wrote:

Thanks for that lesson in capacitance I'm in no way being snobby when I say this but that was excellent information that I haven't been privy too until you told me that in your message concerning upping the value of capacitance, so thank you VERY much for the education. I keep like I said Nichicon UPW series low esr high ripple on hand to re cap most all of my jobs so I'm going to assume that those will work by your message. I have some visual and Wima film style caps as well as some ceramic discs caps. I hate to ask a redundant question but would the film type caps be suitable for the safety caps or should I go with something different? I plan on recapping the LV supply today. I'm not familiar with the other part of the scope that needs recapped as well matter of fact I'm not quite sure what to look for ( Anode supply board) I have most all of the values that you listed for the LV supply and I purchase all my parts from mouser. I have some 1uf Wima film caps if that would work for the one bipolar cap. I'm not sure I have the other film caps in the specified voltage values but I'll look. Also, I did as you said about not pressing any channel buttons in xy mode but all I get is an angled line with no comb from transistor specs. I'm positively sure it's operator error as I get a good readout on my digital scope it's just real grainy and hard to read hence me purchasing this scope, primarily to use my curve tracers with.......