Re: Capacitor testing

Roy Morgan

Long and expert experience with Collins amateur equipment tells us to limit the reforming current to FIVE MILLAMPS.

Take your time. Monitor cap voltage and reforming current. Be patient.

I have a Heath variable bench supply - DC variable from about 0 to 300 volts or so, I use a 10k or 5K, 5 or 10 watt resistor in series. The current meter on the supply lets me keep reforming current low, and a separate voltmeter shows me the caps progress.

Do not follow the procedure given in the MIL-HANDBOOK on reforming electrolytics. There is real danger of disaster doing that (Parallel many caps, reform them with a light bulb series with a DC supply, limiting current to the total for all caps.)

Roy

On Apr 4, 2020, at 5:14 AM, james_55@... wrote:

Hi and thanks for the sugestion.

Any recommendation as to the resistor value?

1k 100k?

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...