Re: Tektronix 2465, 2465A, or 2465B

Stephen Hanselman

Look at what all the tech gurus are saying, they’re right. I have used all of them and find the features of our 2465B (for two of us we have four) to be the best.

Chuck is right on target with the franken2465, I have seen some of those come across my bench.

So be careful, but get a 2465B.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Apr 2, 2020, at 07:39, Siggi <siggi@undo.com> wrote:

Hey Ross,

I have both a 2467 (350MHz, contemporary of 2465A) and a 2465. There are
minimal differences in features between the two scopes - see this link:
https://www.tek.com/support/faqs/what-are-differences-between-oscilloscope-models-2465-2465a-and-2465b
.
One feature difference that isn't mentioned there is the fan in the 2465 is
as near silent as makes no difference - so long as the fan motor is in good
shape.
The 2465 is obviously also older, and mine is due for a re-cap and a re-cal
by now.

My 2467 has the CTT option, which is quite handy, though I really only use
it for the counter.

I haven't noticed these scopes getting warm, but you have to make sure the
airflow vents underneath the casework aren't blocked. You don't want to set
these down flat on a shelf, with the casework flat against the shelving -
they want to sit on the legs or raised up by the handle.

Siggi

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 6:28 AM Ross Hollinger via groups.io <rhollinger=
protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I am new to scopes and am looking for a good analog scope for HF work. I
like these scopes, but am torn between the three. I like the idea on auto
set up, which would leave the 2465 out, but I don't know if the 2465B would
be overkill. About me, I tend to over buy on purpose. I'm a believer in
buy it once and save money. The notion of "beginner" or "starter" anything
doesn't resonate with me - if you can learn on one, you can learn on any.
I have read that the 2400 series tend to overheat, or get real hot, when
operating. Also, that the power supplies are less than desirable. But
then, those are a few opinions that may not be valid. The thing that
concerns me would be having to replace older caps that may leak, blah,
blah. Are there any thoughts about these, and are there any suggestions
about where to look for refurbished units from good repair facilities.