Re: Tektronix 2465, 2465A, or 2465B

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

I don't know where you heard that they overheat. They do not.
They also do not get real hot when operating. The only time
they have a problem with heat is when run in the sun in a
desert... Or when kitty decides to fill the scope with leftover
fur. If house cleaning is not a completely foreign concept to
you, you should be fine.

The power supplies are intensely reliable, and very, very hard
to damage. But, they are also old. The capacitors used in the
switching sections of the supply do wear out, just like in any
other power supply.

Each of the scopes you mention was the top of its class at the
time it was offered. And they were not offered concurrently.

So, they are not starter scopes, or beginner scopes, but rather
just scopes. Very high quality, and popular scopes.

The original member of the series, the 2465 was a ground breaker
when it was introduced. It was a replacement for the venerable,
and highly popular 465, only it was microprocessor controlled,
had digital readout built on screen, measurement cursors, was
much more compact... and sported an honest 300MHz bandwidth.

In my experience, the 2465 operates the smoothest of the whole
family, because it had a CPU card that was designed to easily
support the needs of the scope, rather a scope that was designed
to fully utilize all of the capabilities of the CPU card.

The 2465A and B enhanced the operation to eliminate any controls
that were wired directly to the circuit they controlled... putting
the CPU card in between. But, they use exactly the same CPU and
the same clock frequency as the older 2465. This causes control
functions to stutter and balk from time to time as the CPU gets
around to servicing the control function. It also causes controls
that get moved while power is off, to have their rotation range,
become oddly biased... For instance, if you turn the scope off
while intensity is in mid range, and then turn the intensity knob
to the off position, on next power-up you will find that you can only
brighten the intensity from there, not dim it. You have to run
the intensity control its full range to get it to reset.

The Auto setup feature is nothing but marketing fluff. Nobody
needs such a feature after about a day's worth of scope use.

The only time I ever use the AUTO button is when I am testing a
customer's scope for full functionality. It is never necessary in
real life.

The same goes for all the other features in that control group.

I expect that you would be happy with any one of the scopes you
mentioned.

If you buy a "B" model, be warned that there are lots of franken
scopes modified from 2445B models, rebadged as 2465B. If you buy
any scope from someone whose ebay id is the same as that model,
be sure to get his assurances that he is selling you a genuine
scope that came from the tektronix factory as a 2465B. He will
know what you mean. You might want to look elsewhere.

-Chuck Harris

Ross Hollinger via groups.io wrote:

I am new to scopes and am looking for a good analog scope for HF work. I like these scopes, but am torn between the three. I like the idea on auto set up, which would leave the 2465 out, but I don't know if the 2465B would be overkill. About me, I tend to over buy on purpose. I'm a believer in buy it once and save money. The notion of "beginner" or "starter" anything doesn't resonate with me - if you can learn on one, you can learn on any. I have read that the 2400 series tend to overheat, or get real hot, when operating. Also, that the power supplies are less than desirable. But then, those are a few opinions that may not be valid. The thing that concerns me would be having to replace older caps that may leak, blah, blah. Are there any thoughts about these, and are there any suggestions about where to look for refurbished units from good repair facilities.