Re: TDS 420 Oscilloscope

Oz-in-DFW

Everything David says is correct.

That said, I have one on the bench and it's a fine general purpose scope, but I would not seek one out. It's not Tek's finest work, but it is a good platform for learning the limitations of digital scopes. If you get one cheap (as in $35-40) and it passes self test, I'd get it. I'd generally recommend something more recent and capable.

These do suffer from the 'cap plague' and so you will want to do a preemptive inspection and recapping. If it fails, it's likely beyond reasonable recovery as the failure mechanism is caps leaking electrolyte and corroding the PCB beyond reasonable repair.