Re: TDS 420 Oscilloscope

Siggi

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:08 PM Brendan via Groups.Io
<the_infinite_penguin=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 12:25 PM, Bill wrote:

How reliable is the TDS 420 oscilloscope? Saw a video about it and
thought it
would be a nice upgrade from my 453. Looks to be easily service but
have no
knowledge about the reliability or availibility of the ICs if needed at
some
time.
Thanks,
Bill
I have a TDS420. Every single SMD cap was leaking along with a good deal
of power supply capacitors. After replacing all of those it works fine. I
would make sure to check for PCB damage from the leaking caps before I
picked one up. I got lucky and there was very little damage but from what I
have seen the damage can be pretty extensive.

Matt D'Asaro did a write-up on fixing a few of those @MIT:
https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=243742. Sounds
like the capacitor plaque alright...

I hadn't realized these only go to 100MS/sec, and ET after that. The record
length is also fairly limited, at 60k/samples max with option 1M.