Re: Tek Blue Paint

Hi JJ,
Nonsense. This subject comes up so often I'm going to guess you didn't bother to look through our archives. The Tek blue paint has never been a problem for anyone who was willing to take a minute and do a search for themselves.

Many members have posted in our archives numerous ways you can buy it. For instance:
* Stan Griffiths has always sold it until 2 months ago when he passed away.
* TekScopes members have determined alternate sources.
* TekScopes members have identified the pigment combination to make it.
* Still other members have pointed out which paint stores will match the color for you if you bring in a side panel.

Aside from listing it on Amazon what more would you like us to do?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of JJ
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:12 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek Blue Paint

Wow, this Tek blue paint thing has been a problem for decades. I would love to get my hands on a spray can. I'm wondering if the people at Tektronix would be willing to give us the formula? I imagine it's been a trade secret in the past - but nowadays, it can be duplicated fairly closely through technology.

From what I remember, a spectrophotometer (with more than 30 filters) is only 90% accurate at the very best - and that assumes that you can measure both reflected light from and transmitted light through the specimen - so one would need a paint chip.

There are specialty shops (not the big box stores) that will use a spectrophotometer's input together with manual mixing by a highly experienced individual to get as close as humanly possible.to a match. But, I'm sure it would be costly.

John Justin

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.