From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of JJ
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:12 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek Blue Paint

Wow, this Tek blue paint thing has been a problem for decades. I would love to get my hands on a spray can. I'm wondering if the people at Tektronix would be willing to give us the formula? I imagine it's been a trade secret in the past - but nowadays, it can be duplicated fairly closely through technology.

From what I remember, a spectrophotometer (with more than 30 filters) is only 90% accurate at the very best - and that assumes that you can measure both reflected light from and transmitted light through the specimen - so one would need a paint chip.

There are specialty shops (not the big box stores) that will use a spectrophotometer's input together with manual mixing by a highly experienced individual to get as close as humanly possible.to a match. But, I'm sure it would be costly.

John Justin

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator