Re: TEKTRONIX 491 measuring wifi signals

Chuck Harris

What works as shielding at 30MHz, looks like a sieve at 2.4GHz.

The principle leak is around the door... traditionally.

The ovens use what is called a choke seal around the door, which
physically is a dead ended slot around the door. Both the gap
between the door and the door frame, and the slot in the door
form a high Q, inductance to the 2450MHz signal, and stop most
of it from leaking into the room.

"Most" is still about a watt.

I just noticed that my microwave is one labeled Montgomery Wards,
a retailer that has been gone for two decades. They sent it to
my in-laws from their repair facility, where it was tagged both
unrepairable and repaired. It worked fine. They put the wrong
tag on it. Still going strong!

The Tektronix 491's mixer is pretty old fashioned, using discrete
glass diodes. But, I would still be careful when using it around
a 1500W RF source that leaks several watts.

I remember when my MIL tested a brand new microwave oven leakage
tester by putting it in the oven... God I miss her!

-Chuck Harris

Miguel Work wrote:

My Pansonic microwave oven is working since late 80s, is one of the first micro controlled, the keyboard has no signs of wear 30 years after, has survaived my four brothers family!
Using it every day and still working. It has a double shield.

It costs about 800$

Regards!