Re: recommended ESR meters these days

John Crighton

Hello Ernesto, Harvey and the Group,

my initial interest in this thread is due to having a Tektronix
TDS 320 with a dud switchmode style power supply.
Tektronix or the power supply maker do not supply a
circuit diagram.
I am an old guy, a hobbyist and retired. I lean towards
Ernesto's methods. I like this 99 cent ESR Test Adapter.
https://www.yumpu.com/la/document/view/18546928/print-99-cent-esr-test-adapter

I take your point Harvey when you said,
" Time vs money is a tradeoff everyone makes."
You are right.

This thread has made me think about that.
If you are cashed up and might not be around much longer
then enjoy yourself. Buy some nice gear. Why not?

I live 35 Km north of Sydney. I have not been able to buy
a box of tissues or a toilet roll from my local supermarket
for over a weak due to people panic buying in fear of the
corona virus. I am mentioning this because I am using tissues
and bog roll paper to clean up the mess made by a leaking
Energiser 1.5V D cell.
Many of the components on the inside of my beloved
AVO Model 8 mk2 multimeter are green with corrosion.

In the 1960s I hankered after this meter. Here is picture
http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avo8.html

I finally got my 1960s AVO meter in the 1990s and today
it still works but is suffering from leaking battery damage
due to my negligence.

The Trade Off Harvey, do I save my toilet tissue paper for
toilet use or use it on my 50 plus years old multimeter?

Still on the "Trade Off" theme, up till now, I have spent
over 15 hours cleaning the components on the inside of my
multimeter meter with more work to do.
Common sense tells me it is not worth it but I feel I must
reduce the corrosion damage and fix this meter.
Maybe also as a punishment for not checking the
batteries in my equipment.

Your points Harvey, Ernesto and Dave who wants to
"buy" an ESR meter because he is running out of time,
have made me think about time and how I spend it.

Excellent Thread, thanks for that.

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney