Re: recommended ESR meters these days

Bob Albert

Did you read this?
Tesla coil

| | |

| |
Tesla coil

Tesla used these circuits to conduct innovative experiments in electrical lighting, phosphorescence, X-ray gener...

Bob

On Saturday, March 14, 2020, 05:08:48 PM PDT, Tony Fleming <czecht@...> wrote:

Thank you very much for a very quick reply!
I'm not as smart in these fields as you are, but I love to play with stuff
and make some sample "demo units" that would put a "growing seed" in some
person or a kid's head, like it happen to me, when I was young. I think the
hands-on and some sound (or any visual effect)  created by the
experiment is very powerful. At least it was in my brain, but life took me
to a different route and I had to take care of my family and ..... Now,
when kids are on their own for a while, is the time to play with my toys!
Everything to me is a toy because I'm young in my heart and brain - not the
body.... I love oscilloscopes and DMM's or special meters that I own. I'm
very visual, photography was and is my other hobby and even
professional work in the past .... so seeing something that we aren't
equipped to see, electrons + many other like oxygen....is something that I
love. I love  to show this to anyone who wants to, because I love people
very much. I also play with Arduino and ESP32/8266.... Raspberry PI.... but
it is hard for me to remember stuff. Dyslexia and Fibromyalgia with PTSD
combination ++ some other health stuff is slowing my brain down, but I try
and try again, until I get it or not.
I've made some simple Jacob Ladders with neon sign transformer or from a
Microwave Oven Transformers.... but I don't know how to make stuff on my
own, without having schema and I love to have a video also, of the project
when I can. So I can "copy" someone's design but now I can't make complex
stuff on my own.
Example is my Tesla Kit, that my friend gave me - it is here on the
youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4y6j-foyY&list=PLv52A7rm-UViZEOlzZfZOB9Gl8cjS3ze5&index=2&t=0s
(I
also started not long ago a website:  https://tonysfun.com/   )
I have the parts (not knowing if all parts are there or not for sure, but
most are there) and one sheet of some instructions, but that is all. I've
asked many youtube people, who made these powerful Tesla Coils, but nobody
answered at this time.
Would you be willing to take me one step at a time and make a schema that I
can follow?
I'm very careful and take many precaushions before playing with Kilovolts
or even just with any voltage, since I hate to burn or break anything....
I' also on Skype (under  czecht@... - I was born in Czechoslovakia
but I escaped in 1981 to USA) so we could see each other while talking
about anything you like me to know.
One of the scopes I have is older Tektronix 2465 DMM, it came busted but a
simple switch cleaning fixed that problem.
Also I have a modern 100 Mhz color scope, Aktakom - I think it is a copy of
and a  OWON.... can't remember the model number- and a Aktakom
generator...+ many more "gizmos", as I call them.
But I would not know how to make a oscilloscope from parts, but I do
desolder many boards, TV's ... whatever I find on the curb or someone gives
me, so I can get parts I can use.
I'm willing to learn if you like to share your time and knowledge, since I
work for myself as a computer repairman.... Another hobby  that became
business, but I love computers like my Oscilloscopes....
Sorry for a long email and thanks again for your reply.
Have a great weekend.
Tony

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Ernesto <ebordon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 09:07 AM, Tony Fleming wrote:

Thanks for your information. I'm not an engineer in electronics, but I
do what
I can, including buying meters that I use. I do have couple scopes, but I
usually just pull out my meter for the job at hand..... By same tocan I'm
interested in learning electronics, after 50+ years of hiatus so it is
little
harder to learn than when I was young.
If you have a place where I can learn stuff like you've mentioned, I'm
all
ears.
Have a great weekend.
Hi Tony,

First of all, there is no reason you cannot learn electronics after a 50+
hiatus.  I keep learning electronics, some of it from this group, after
70++ years of existence. Instead being harder, as seniors we have more
patience and perseverance.

I assume you have a good background in physics, electricity.  To progress
to "electronics" it is best to have some passion.  Nothing inspires this
passion better than the oscilloscope, the KING of the electronic
instruments.
The oscilloscope is the only means to VISUALIZE  the abstract electrical
signals.  This visualization stays with us all life long and makes
electronics something CONCRETE and familiar.

So if you want to become expert in electronics, my advice is:  BUILD AN
OSCILLOSCOPE FROM SCRATCH  (with some nice CRT tube, of course)

Right after college I did this for a couple of months,  designing and
building with an old 4 inch CRT an oscilloscope in the style of Tektronix.
It was a dual-channel with all options, triggered with all options plus an
X-Y display, and built 100% with transistors in 1971.  With an 1800 V
high-voltage supply running at 35 Khz,  I designed and built the HV
transformer and even the 50 Hz (in my country) transformer from their basic
materials.  All with little money, ha ha!

This launched my career of designer of analog electronics.  At that time
the progressive introduction of integrated circuits allowed me to learn the
digital stuff,  and I became a champion of designing WITH ECONOMY  (minimum
number of components). This economy stopped being an issue shortly
thereafter, so I changed to optimum functionality no matter what, and the
field of firmware, microprocessors and programmable LSI gave me a lust for
complexity. Finally I became a software programmer, "software architect"
and now... happily retired... I am finally back at tinkering with hardware
and oscilloscopes.

There is a reason why some electrical engineers are attracted to a
"TekScopes" grouop instead of "Power Distribution" or "High Voltage
Transmission Lines" discussion groups.

Ernesto