Re: I've been hacked

Eric

Hey Rich,
    Avast is good as far as I know. You technically don't "need" to get rid of defender as it is a built and I think I broke windows badly when I tried to remove it last and most AV will coexist with it. Malware bytes is not AV so it does not tank performance and can be on with other programs.

To All of us here have some irraplaceable data be it digital data books, schematics and repair manuals. Crypto malware is the nastyest thing out at the moment PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have an off line backup of critical data. To truly be safe it needs to be off and unplugged. A connected usb drive or network file share is not off line enough the crypto malware is getting nasty. Also do not try to get the files back unless you want to pay for them. They are using bank level 128 bit+ asymmetric encryption unless it is poorly implemented or you get extremly lucky the data is gone.

Eric

On 3/10/2020 9:47 PM, Richard R. Pope wrote:
Eric,
    I also don't recommend Norton or McAfee because they are such resource hogs. I'll have to look into the ones that you have recommended. I have been using Avast. How do I get rid of Windoze Defender?
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 3/10/2020 8:41 PM, Eric wrote:
Dennis,
    If you need a hand with this let me know I am more then willing to help out. For AV currently a really good one is Sophos home. https://home.sophos.com/en-us.aspx I am not affiliated with them in any way but as an IT security guy it is what I use at home. The home account is free and they give you 3 computers. the paid version is up to 10. also look at https://www.malwarebytes.com/ also free for home use. They will usually find things that AV will not find. For PC performance reasons do not run more then one AV at a time. Windows defender sucks and should not be considered effective. and I usually recommend people stay away form Norton and McAfee. not because they are bad but just because of market share. they are the most commonly attacked.

Eric

On 3/10/2020 7:49 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
My email addresses have been hacked. Noon today my first friend contacted me
about it. Since then 10 other people have contacted me asking if the
suspicious email that got was really from me. The email from me contains a
link to a document that I supposedly sent to them. Delete the email. Do not
open the link.

Two different anti-virus programs I ran this afternoon found nothing unusual
on my PC so at this point I have no idea how they got my list of contacts.

The emails did not originate from my copy of Outlook since there is nothing
suspicious in my Sent folder.

Any TekScopes members that I have corresponded with directly are likely to
receive this email from me if the hacker was able to copy my entire list of
email addresses.

Dennis Tillman W7pF