Re: Testing HV multipliers with low frequency

Ed Breya

Oops - a favorable correction is needed. I found on further experimenting that there was quite a bit of capacitive coupling from the drive side wiring and the multiplier body into the middle and low end of the probe, which exaggerated the apparent ripple on the HV output. Rearranging stuff and pushing the probe and HV connection way out beyond the deck edge made it a truer reading. Instead of 15 kVpp shown in the "12 kV in..." picture, it now shows about 3 kVpp, or about ten percent ripple on 30 kVDC. It is also more rounded (like the sine drive) rather than triangle-shaped, and the little jags are still there. I'll put up a new image when I get a chance.

So, the effectiveness in getting high DC out of this multiplier at low frequencies is better than I thought, and the probe resistance is high enough to not upset things too badly.

Ed