Re: CRT rebuilding

Many of the rebuild shops also recoated the phosphor so you got a new gun assembly and new phosphor. Obviously, results depended on the skill and quality control of the rebuild shop.  Thomas was one of the better ones.  I recall getting a rebuilt monochrome TV tube that had hand smears in the phosphor coating of the screen.  It still worked fine but we sent it back because it looked horrible when off.

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:37:38 AM CST, David Kuhn <daveyk021@gmail.com> wrote:

" They re-gun the tube as far as I know, cut off the old gun, re-phosphor
and put in a new gun.  "

I remember seeing re-built tubes back in the day.  You could see the scar
where the new gun and glass assembly was welded (melted glass) on the
neck of the CRT.  If I recollect correctly, and I doubt I do, I think we
could buy rebuilt CRTs for maybe half the price of a new CRT and they were
just as good as new (only the glass was re-used) if they knew how to
align the guns.

dave

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM Jeff Kruth via Groups.Io <kmec=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Long ago, I did business with Thomas, a first class outfit. They needed
glass for re-building a special tube they sold and I had a lot of it, so I
traded twenty duds for two rebuilt tubes. They re-gun the tube as far as I
know, cut off the old gun, re-phosphor and put in a new gun. Relabeled and
everything. I dont know how they will do with custom CRTs from Tek. What if
they break the CRT envelope? Maybe they would do it on a "If it works out,
we will charge you" kind of effort. However, expect to pay something real.
$300-400 dollars, maybe more, would not surprise me.

Jeff Kruth
In a message dated 3/1/2020 6:05:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, donfrasher=
yahoo.com@groups.io writes:
  Looking over their web page FAQ they claim to do around 50 different
phosphors.I also sent them a note from there contact listing. I'm thinking
at this point that cost will be the big factor.

    On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 05:56:19 PM EST, John Williams <
books4you@telus.net> wrote:

Interesting. I am going to contact them. If they can redo the phosphore
maybe they could change it to a different one. Depending on cost of course.
Thanks.