Re: CRT rebuilding

David Kuhn

" They re-gun the tube as far as I know, cut off the old gun, re-phosphor
and put in a new gun. "

I remember seeing re-built tubes back in the day. You could see the scar
where the new gun and glass assembly was welded (melted glass) on the
neck of the CRT. If I recollect correctly, and I doubt I do, I think we
could buy rebuilt CRTs for maybe half the price of a new CRT and they were
just as good as new (only the glass was re-used) if they knew how to
align the guns.

dave

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM Jeff Kruth via Groups.Io <kmec=
aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Long ago, I did business with Thomas, a first class outfit. They needed
glass for re-building a special tube they sold and I had a lot of it, so I
traded twenty duds for two rebuilt tubes. They re-gun the tube as far as I
know, cut off the old gun, re-phosphor and put in a new gun. Relabeled and
everything. I dont know how they will do with custom CRTs from Tek. What if
they break the CRT envelope? Maybe they would do it on a "If it works out,
we will charge you" kind of effort. However, expect to pay something real.
$300-400 dollars, maybe more, would not surprise me.

Jeff Kruth
In a message dated 3/1/2020 6:05:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, donfrasher=
yahoo.com@groups.io writes:
Looking over their web page FAQ they claim to do around 50 different
phosphors.I also sent them a note from there contact listing. I'm thinking
at this point that cost will be the big factor.

On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 05:56:19 PM EST, John Williams <
books4you@telus.net> wrote:

Interesting. I am going to contact them. If they can redo the phosphore
maybe they could change it to a different one. Depending on cost of course.
Thanks.