Re: Are your transistors growing whiskers in their old age?

Geoffrey Thomas

The AF117 transistors were exhibiting this problem in the late 1970's, tin whiskers is why we had lead in solder, of course.

Geoff.

On 03/03/2020 14:44, bill koski via Groups.Io wrote:
I restore vintage radios and have had a couple early transistor radios that I had to replace a germanium transistor that I suspect failed from whiskers. The first transistor radio to be mass marketed was the Regency TR1. From what I read the first run of those radios were recalled because of early mortality of the transistors. Finding one of those first run radios is rare and a working one that is all original is even more rare.