Re: 547 scope HV transformer problem. One practical solution.

Hi Randy,

I had never heard of a 555 scope before. So I went online and saw a video showing it and explaining some details. There I learned about the filament voltage regulation with a saturable reactor. Smart idea! Then I downloaded the manual and peaked in it. The delay line with 12 tubes followed by multiple discrete-component stages! The two HV supplies, practically identical to my 547 scope! Multiplexing inputs with vacuum tube diodes! The magnitude of the instrument is amazing, and it must be a real pleasure to operate it. A 60 year old design that out-thrills by so far any modern $400 digital scope, no matter how modern technology has made high performance so easy. You are lucky!

Regards,
Ernesto