Re: Barrie Gilbert has passed away

Jim Ford

RIP, Barrie Gilbert.   He was indeed a titan of technology and a heck of a nice guy.I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> Date: 1/31/20 6:01 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: [TekScopes] Barrie Gilbert has passed away I lost a friend! We lost a giant analog IC designer! Barrie passed awayafter a fall yesterday. I had lunch with him in October to give him a 6-gunCRT to add to his collection of unusual CRTs. At that time he was slowlyretiring from his Analog Devices laboratory in Beaverton. He is a legend in the analog IC industry. In a few short years at Tek heinvented a way to display the readout on the CRT that every scope made sincethen uses, and he invented the Gilbert Cell, Gilbert Multiplier, GilbertMixer which are all variations of each other. You probably have a GilbertMixer in your cell phone. They wouldn't be much good without it. He hashundreds of other patents as well. He was the most unassuming person I think I have ever met. He once gave atalk on where his creativity came from in my dining room. I took him to ahamfest for the very first time and tried to teach him how to haggle overthe price sticker on the old scopes he wanted to buy. After ignoring myadvice a few times he turned to me and said "I don't want to haggle. Theypay me too much and I don't know what else to do with it but give it away." Rest in peace, Senor Multiplicado! https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.design/kdz_ab4Rb9o