Re: Barrie Gilbert has passed away

Raymond Cote

Ill have to search his history. Sounds like an amazing guy. Thanks

On Jan 31, 2020, at 16:01, Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

I lost a friend! We lost a giant analog IC designer! Barrie passed away
after a fall yesterday. I had lunch with him in October to give him a 6-gun
CRT to add to his collection of unusual CRTs. At that time he was slowly
retiring from his Analog Devices laboratory in Beaverton.

He is a legend in the analog IC industry. In a few short years at Tek he
invented a way to display the readout on the CRT that every scope made since
then uses, and he invented the Gilbert Cell, Gilbert Multiplier, Gilbert
Mixer which are all variations of each other. You probably have a Gilbert
Mixer in your cell phone. They wouldn't be much good without it. He has
hundreds of other patents as well.

He was the most unassuming person I think I have ever met. He once gave a
talk on where his creativity came from in my dining room. I took him to a
hamfest for the very first time and tried to teach him how to haggle over
the price sticker on the old scopes he wanted to buy. After ignoring my
advice a few times he turned to me and said "I don't want to haggle. They
pay me too much and I don't know what else to do with it but give it away."

Rest in peace, Senor Multiplicado!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.design/kdz_ab4Rb9o