Re: TDS784C

amirb

Ragnar,

So, you mean the tools you posted on github here do work with Agilent 82357B? like the tekfwtool, etc...
Because everything I have seen about these tools whether here or on eevblog point to NI GPIB-USB
and people say they dont work with 82357B.
NI GPIB is too expensive but my cheap 82357B clone works perfectly for me.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:01 PM, Ragnar S wrote:

Hi all,

There is some calibration data in the EEPROMs on the acquisition board, but
also in the NVRAMs on the CPU board.

I have been told that you should never swap acquisition boards between scopes
without also moving the NVRAM contents.
Also, there are indications that there is calibration data that not even the
field service calibration data will update, that was written at the factory.

You are right that the NVRAMs are also used for storing waveforms, settings
and other stuff.

If you care about your scope I would _absolutely_ recommend backing up your
NVRAMs and your EEPROMs.

There are some DOS programs build for National Instruments GPIB drivers,
mainly tekfwtool and getcaldata, as well as the floppy based tools that John
pointed out, tdsNvramFloppyTool, that also has a Java program that can verify
the checksums of your dumps.

Both ways of getting your EEPROMs and the NVRAMs are a bit fragile, so I would
recommend using two separate methods, or at least do it twice, and check that
there is no difference between the results.
Sadly there always is a difference in the first bytes of the NVRAM dumps,
because that is where there real time clock is mapped (in the DS1486).

Since I had no National Instruments GPIB interface around (but an Agilent USB
one), and no DOS machine (but linux and unix machines), I did the little work
it took to make them compile clean on Linux, on a Raspberry Pi in my case,
fixed some simple makefiles and made a collection of the tools. Another guy
wanted to run them on a Mac, which was trivial to fix as well, so I added that
too.

You can find my collection here:
https://github.com/ragges/tektools

Best regards,

Ragnar

On 28 Jan 2020, at 18:23, Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@...> wrote:

Speaking only from experience with TDS 540x, yes the calibration is kept on
the acquisition PCA. I think, but have not taken the time to prove, that the
primary use of the NVRAM is to store trace data. Everyone of the NVRAMs I
have read seem to have a pile of "empty" space in them along with a bit of
stuff relating to options, date, time, and the like.

Just as easily though I could be FoS.

Steve