Re: TDS784C

Ragnar S

On 29 Jan 2020, at 12:15, Steve Hendrix <SteveHx@...> wrote:

At 2020-01-28 10:01 PM, Ragnar S wrote:

There are some DOS programs build for National Instruments GPIB drivers,
mainly tekfwtool and getcaldata, as well as the floppy based tools that
John pointed out, tdsNvramFloppyTool, that also has a Java program that
can verify the checksums of your dumps.
Thank you very much for the uploads of the tools. I've downloaded those but will be a few days before I'll get a chance to look at them. I have at least half a day of cleaning out in order to make space to set up the TDS784C properly, and before that I'm up to my ears in alligators with work and other things. When I do get to it, I'll need to do some adapting. I like the idea of Linux, but have never had time to take that plunge as my work keeps me mostly under Windoze, despite my roots being much closer to Linux (HexDOS, PCDos, CPM, and Unix). And I'll need to adapt the I/O to go via Telnet to my KISS-488, which is the only IEEE-488 interface I kept.
I am only happy if others have use for it too!

There are only a few calls that needs to be implemented, like ibwrt(), ibrd(), ibcntl(), ibdev(), ibclr(), ibonl(), and the global status variables like “ibsta”, “iberr", and the constants to test them against, linux-gpib has the constants.

If you are a bit more lazy, or don’t have the time, you could pick up e.g. an Agilent 82357B USB-GPIB interface on eBay for around USD 70, that is what I did. They are marketed as “new”, but they obviously have some chips soldered in afterwards, there is flux left on those, and they are not always that good positioned. Also, they are supposed to have shielding paint on the inside of the plastics, but these don't. But many seems to be happy with these interfaces, and it has worked for me. I would recommend to inspect it first though - mine had a short between two pins on the Xilinx chip, but both pins were "not connected", so it wasn’t a problem and even a self test (if there is one) should most likely not have noticed.

Best regards,

Ragnar