Re: Where have all the Schematics Gone?

David Kuhn

I agree. At GE Inspection Technologies, the same thing happened after GE
purchased us. Even our Sales Representatives with their own authorized
service departments could not get schematics. Then the factory repair
service became a profit center and part prices went through the roof.
Well, GEIT is not more. What is left of the company is a shell of itself.
The US Plant in Pennsylvania shut down, production moved between Southern
Ireland and Slovakia. Service, without the experienced techs to the
Houston, TX area. Now their name changed (GEIT is no more) and their
product offering a ghost of what it used to be. Meanwhile, their
competitors are going great guns.

As far as Chinese Scopes. Siglent is quite good. Even their 200MHz economy
scopes are very good and beautiful and inexpensive. The displays are
outstanding! The only reason I keep purchasing 20+ year old TDS3000
series scopes in the ability to set the mid reference levels when measuring
pulses. In the UT industry, the pulse widths are measure at the 90%
reference levels verses the standard 50%. I was in email with Siglents
tech support and engineering for a year. They understood what I needed.
New firmware releases would come and still not that ability. The best they
ever did was show a Python example of reading the waveform in and then I
could "calculate" the width at 90%. I was so frustrated. I do write a lot
of support code in VBA and VB6 that perhaps I could have done that, but I
could not make heads or tails out of their code example. I really think it
was pure subterfuge. I gave up and relegated the Siglent as a back-up;
this year, I will not even get it calibrated. If they ever gave me the
ability to set the mid reference levels to whatever I wanted them to be, a
$700 brand new Siglent could easily replace a brand new $10K+++ Tektronix
TDS3000C series, or even used TDS3000 series.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 6:33 PM Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF>