Re: Guernsey Island 2445

Chuck Harris

Colin,

Hatchet is sheathed.

My point on my spelling of Guernsey, is the only internal spelling
checker I have in me (an intentional redundant redundancy) spells
phonetically. So, every time I type Guernsey, I start out "Gurn"
before my higher brain function catches my mistake, and causes me to
back space 3 times, because twice wouldn't do, would it?

And then I type "G...u..ernsey". This happens every blooming time!

If my higher brain function is distracted by doing other higher brain
things, the correction doesn't happen.

Each and everyone of us (who isn't a liar), has a problem like this
that vexes them. For some it is spelling, for others it is homonyms,
and others, its it's (snort!), or who vs that, or effect vs affect,
or colors we see differently from others, ... it is always something.

If it doesn't really affect the point being made, I try to just let it
go. You say colour, I say color... we are all different.

-Chuck Harris

Colin Herbert via Groups.Io wrote:

Chuck,

Since this whole thread on the Guernsey Island 2445 has that (correct) spelling as its title, I wouldn't have thought it would be so hard. I am only being a bit grumpy, not really fuming mad. Please don't take too much offence (that's the way we spell offense in the UK) as it isn't intended.

The reference to "Holland" wasn't directed at you, it was a "point of order". As I said, Holland is just one part of the Netherlands. Some people in the UK call the whole country "Holland" incorrectly. I think even the national (association; "soccer") football team gets named "Holland". I'm not sure whether many Dutch agree with that, but if I was Dutch, I wouldn't agree. OK, I admit to having a bit of a bee in my bonnet on this score.

Can we bury the hatchet on this? I really didn't intend to have a big go at you, it was more in jest. I'll buy you a drink when and if I see you to apologise.

Colin.