From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chuck Harris
Sent: 27 January 2020 17:14
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Guernsey Island 2445

Hi Raymond,

Very well, I must have misunderstood what I was told by
a former tektronix engineer from Gurnsey, 40 years ago.

I met him at one of my customer's sites, he was working
for a division of my customer's company in Guernsey, and
was TDY here in the states for training.

He noticed my brand new 2465, and clearly was itching
to talk with me about it. He was involved in the design
when he was at Tek Guernsey. He looked at my scope's serial
number to see where mine was made, and that brought on
a discussion of the serial numbers, factory of origin,
and revisions.

40 years is a long time, and I am somewhat surprised that
I remember the meeting at all. It was just a transient
thing one morning.

In the 40 years since, I have seen only one example of
a scope from any tektronix overseas factory, other than
Japan, and that was a 468 that I own that came from Holland.

I own two 468's, one from Holland, and one from Beaverton.

Both appear to be identical in board revisions, and software
revisions...

One is B014XXX, and the other is 705XXX

To my eye, it looks like they relate by subtracting the
universal Beaverton "zero" serial number (B010101) from the
Beaverton unit... but my sample set is too small.

Tektronix isn't stupid enough to have not had a simple way
to connect the dots between the scopes that were made in
multiple countries.

-Chuck Harris

Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 10:17 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:

The primary thing I was trying to relate is the last
5 digits determines which engineering change orders
apply to your instrument.
I'm pretty sure that's incorrect across serial numbers from different countries of manufacture, Chuck, but I'm happy to check and provide (dis)proof when I'm back in the lab...
Unless unwelcome signs of old age have set in, ISTR that's exactly what many of us (mostly non-US based) have had to deal with for years.
It is one unfortunate thing that I have never understood from Tek.

Raymond