Re: Tektronix op amp plugins (Type O or AM501) have you used one?

Tim Phillips

from Tim P (UK)
J. Hunt asks about interesting uses for Type 'O's

I put together a setup with a type 1A1 in a 547, and a Type 'O' in a 132.
The ch1 out signal from the 1A1 was input to the Type 'O' , transformed in
various ways, and from there input to ch2. on the 1A1.
After getting it all to trigger nicely, I had a 'before & after' display.

I also had two Type 'O's in a 536 X/Y 'scope - tried playing with some
'Spirograph (tm)' - like displays using the Log Adapter.
Tim

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 04:30, J Hunt via Groups.Io <jmailhunt=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Glenn's posting (attached below) about his Type O op amp plugin got me
thinking about the AM501 op plugin I had in my lab. I used it only once
for a quick setup when I needed a higher voltage and current than I could
get from an IC opamp. Otherwise it stayed on the shelf.

Have you used a Type O or an AM501 for anything interesting?

Specs and links from tekwiki:

AM501 Operational Amplifier (TM500 plugin)
5MHz GBW DC Gain 10,000 Input Bias Current < 0.5nA
Output +- 40V, +- 50mA Available 1974 - ?
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/AM501

Type O Dual Opamp
Letter-series plugin for 500 series scopes or could be a standalone
instrument if
plugged into external power supplies like the 132. Available 1962-73.

15MHz GBW DC Gain 2500 Grid Current (Input Bias Current) < 0.5nA
Output +- 50V, +- 5mA
Tube based design (plus a couple of transistors).
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/O

The manual section of that web page has a link to "Tektronix Opamps and
Their Applications" from 1965 which has 70 pages of op amp theory and
interesting measurement and analog computer era applications. How about
putting a triode in the feedback circuit to create a square root function?
Or use the op amp to measure the voltage coefficient of a capacitor?
Pretty cool.

John Hunt
Portland, OR

4a. Re: Type O plugin with Power Supply
From: Albert Otten
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:56:06 PST
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 03:19 AM, Glenn Little wrote:

Link to picture.
Can take more if interested.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/239601/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0
It would be interesting to see what the difference with an ordinary Type
132 are.
Albert