Re: Tek CRTs supplied to competing manufacturers

This is documented in the book: Winning With People: The first 40 years of Tektronix by Lee.
Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of george gonzalez
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:55 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek CRTs supplied to competing manufacturers

I think it was the other way around, Tek used to buy CRTs from Dumont and RCA but found out they were getting the below average CRTs. This came to light when some university bought like 50 CRTs and some alert Tek person noticed the tubes were not in serial number order and they all were extremely bright and sharp, better than the ones sent to Tektronix. This spurred Tek to start up their own CRT factory. Expensive but had superb results.

On Friday, January 24, 2020, Greg Muir via Groups.Io <big_sky_explorer= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks, Dennis.

I did think it came from a fairly reputable source. But the years
that passed after reading of it made it rather fuzzy in the ol' brain.

As for another title, i would add "...and why was it subject to such
suffering under control of a holding company?"

("Big fish eating smaller fish")

Greg

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF