TEK514 needs new 5V4G tube

Steve Hendrix

Okay, it's a "valve" for our limey friends!

Today I was able to do some more troubleshooting with my dad and my sons, on Dad's TEK514. I took along my thermal camera to help track down the short that was blowing the inlet fuse. Turned out i didn't need it, but it helped confirm. One rectifier tube right next to that monster power transformer started getting extra hot within seconds of power-on, and then started arcing and making a nice arc lamp. I've done a bit of searching and it seems the audiophiles like these tubes; the best I could find was AU$55 for a pair on eBay. Dunno how much shipping would be from down under. Fairly simple fix, to swap out a tube - if that's the only problem. But we checked all the electrolytic caps with an ohmmeter and none seemed to be shorted nor open. Looking for any thoughts on a good source for the tube, and/or whether it's a worthwhile fix.

Steve Hendrix