Re: 11801 questions - funny fan noise and light

Chuck Harris

Mine is normal until after the scope has been turned on for
about 30 minutes, and then it starts going "Brummm..... Brummm..."

I suspect a capacitor failure, as it is annoying, and would have
caused notice if it were a "normal" condition.

Annoying, though it may be, I can't see how it would cause any
harm... unless it presages a total failure.

What it isn't is a bearing failure, or lack of lubrication. My
fan spins for what seems like half a minute after power is turned
off.

-Chuck Harris

Reginald Beardsley via Groups.Io wrote:

I don't recall mine ever doing that. I'm very sensitive to noise as I investigate anything I can't identify, so I think I would have noticed it.

A fan on one of my HP Z400 workstations was doing that. I shut it down to reduce the heat in the room and when I tried to boot it the fan was dead. I've not had time to correct it yet.

Good luck,
Reg