Re: What Tektronix means to me

Hi Tam,
Allow me to explain the bathroom quip. But first, I thought your description of the Tu-144 ferrying coal was pretty funny.

One member of TekScopes (Magic Smoke) posted that he is slowly furnishing his house with Tektronix equipment, meaning he is accumulating so much of it that it was filling up every room in his house.

Then David replied with "The trick is knowing where to stop (bathrooms come to mind!)". Which meant that you have probably gone too far when Tektronix oscilloscopes start showing up in your bathrooms. I know a few people that have a problem like Magic Smoke who started a long time ago filling the rooms in their house with Tektronix stuff. I don't have any in my bathroom yet but I'm slowly getting there and this is a very, very bad sign.

I will soon have to do something about this problem. Stay tuned everyone!

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Tam Hanna
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:59 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] What Tektronix means to me

Hello,

sorry, I do not get the bathroom quip.

But: seriously. IMHO, SmallTalk is what did Danaher in. Especially the idiocy of having both SmallTalk and Java on the think, and NOT EXPOSING it to "Schlomo Normalentwickler". This is like having a Tu-144 in your airline fleet and a license to fly it with passengers between Frankfurt, Beijing, P'yong Yang, Tehran and Moscow, and instead using it to ferry coal.

One of the reasons why people loved the LeCroy so much was that it gave you the feeling to have a "programmable scope". Enter an equation here, modify a screen layout there. I have seen recently some achingly cool .app files for the TriStar platform. Why nobody had the idea to release an SDK...

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.