Re: 'Solder Rot'

Roy Thistle

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 11:44 AM, DaveH52 wrote:

you will find a wealth of information, including
https://www.dfrsolutions.com/predicting-fatigue-of-solder-joints
Thanks for that link DaveH53 (Dave?).
From the paper (buried in the long introduction) , "The purpose of this paper is to provide a better understanding of the relevance of standard strain energy based models for low cycle fatigue of solder joints in predicting the behavior of standard SMT packages subjected to a very high number of power cycles.", where the paper leads me to believe "... a very high number of power cycles." is something like 250,000.
There is also some discussion about this being a significantly higher than room temperature phenomenon.
I have definitely experienced thermally induced strain in poorly designed laptops where heat/temperatures are a problem.
While very interesting... to me at least... and I'd like to hear more...I'd venture that for a lot of the stuff discussed on this list, failures due to the phenomena, discussed in the paper, are not an issue, for many of us?
Best regards, best wishes.
Roy