Re: Tek 576 Curve Tracer USB port to a cpu ... ?

Hi Michael,
At some point in the video (I don't know where the eBay auction is) they say no modification is necessary to the 576. That has to be total BS. My definition of no modification is a little stricter: it means they never had to open the 576 up. Period.
If what you are saying is true about the port on the side then they did go inside the 576 and attach wires to the switches so they could set the gain or attenuation of their A/Ds properly and so they could pick off the readout information.

The little Vacuum Tube adapter I made for the Tek semiconductor curve tracers required no modification to the curve tracers at all. By that I mean you never open the curve tracer up for any reason. That's my definition of no modification.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mlynch001
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2020 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek 576 Curve Tracer USB port to a cpu ... ?

Dennis,

Thanks for weighing in on this one. I was thinking the same thing, that it is easy to talk about it, but much more difficult to make it work, as you have already stated. They have added a USB port to the right side of the 576, This port appears in one of their promotional photos on E-Bay. They never indicate what the internal connections are, not sure why they ever would want to do this. However, it appears that they are at least partially tapping into the data from the existing readout to get the different voltage and current switch positions, since they display this same data on the laptop screen. Perhaps this is how they are getting the current/division and step currents? They are definitely using much of the existing 576 switch gear and circuitry then doing some sort of A/D conversion to deliver this by the USB Buss. The e-bay pictures show precious little of the interface, but they show that the resulting laptop display appears to be a partial clone of the original 576 display, with some added software in play as well, but again, the information is sparse at best. I am sure that some of the brilliant minds in the group could figure this out.

Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.