Re: Tek 576 Curve Tracer USB port to a cpu ... ?

Harvey White

You don't really need to worry a lot about it.

Use the arduino serial write to get the data to the PC.

Then in whatever program you use, be it pascal, visual basic, or what, open a com port for the data

You'll then get a data stream of what you've written.  I'd recommend ascii of the form

X= nnnn.nnnn; Y=nnnn.nnnn;

C has parse routines, other languages might.  There may be some nice tutorials out there.

For graphics, you can use things like write line, and then set pixel (mythical functions, depends on the language).

Short story is that it is possible to do.

Graphics are fairly easy once you see that you can write text anywhere on the screen, draw a line from point A to point B, and then plot a point (or draw a line from point A to B, depending on style).

The reason for doing it yourself is that you'll learn a lot, and that you can customize it to do exactly what you want.

Harvey

On 1/7/2020 5:05 PM, peter bunge wrote:
Getting the data digitized is the easy part. Can someone write the software
interface between the USB and the computer screen?
Arduinos and PICs probably have USB driver functions, its the graphics that
is the problem for me. I wish I had the skills.
I use a camera but the shutter speed needs to be long enough to avoid
bright patches of trace.
Tektronix at one time produced a digital camera to replace the Polaroid
ones but they went obsolete as fast as computers.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Matthew Hofmann <mhofmann@...>
wrote:

I have an old 575 like the one your brother has. I think I might do a
little exploration into the circuitry to see how one might drive a pair of
A/D converters to get the horiz & vert data.