Re: Tektronix 2245a Flickering Trace

William Schuler

Thanks Siggy, I appreciate the pointers. Nice “outer limits“ clip as well!

BTW, the fan runs fine.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 6:45 PM Siggi <siggi@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 8:13 PM William Schuler <guitardad1967@...>
wrote:

I am in no hurry, so I will give it a try just for fun. It would be
interesting to compare results with my buddy’s functional scope.

Hmmm, you already see the output of the horizontal amplifier - that's what
your CRT shows.
The only thing is that your horizontal output (
https://youtu.be/8dzxGlcErUo?t=10) is differential. By comparing both
sides, you'd be able to see whether this is due to one side pulling or both
- it's a data point at least. I'd bet that you'll find your problem
elsewhere than in the horizontal amp, though. I'm betting on power
supplies, as that's where ~90% of all trouble happens. Is the fan working
OK?
In any case, while I often^Wsometimes miss the most direct way to figure
out what's up, I find the detours are more than worth their while for the
learnin'.

Now to
figure out exactly where that horizontal amplifier is....
You have the service manual (

http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=Tektronix/Tektronix_-_2245A/Tektronix_2245A_Oscilloscope_Service_Manual.pdf
)?

Have fun!